Jun 2nd, 2012 |
The National Telecom Policy 2012 for reforming the Indian telecom space has been approved by the union cabinet. The policy aims to:
- Achieve Mobile Number Portability (MNP) across telecom circles. Currently, it is only possible to port your number within the same circle.
- Achieve free roaming throughout the country.
- Redefine broadband to a minimum of 2 Mbps connection.
- Introduce unified licensing and decouple spectrum from licensing.
- Support VoIP, cloud computing and next generation networks including IPv6.
- Increase rural tele density from the current 39% to 70% by 2017 and 100 % by 2020.
- Encourage domestic manufacturing and resale of services.
Pretty good news for all of us as every one of us is going to benefit in some or the other way. Lets hope the new policy is implemented as soon as possible.
In related news, TRAI has a new, better & cleaner website.
Liked this article? Like us on Facebook!