Dec 16th, 2010 |
Google is doing some charity work and they have invited you to be a part for free! Everytime you open a new tab on Google Chrome, they do something for a good cause from your side. They contribute to the following 5 good causes and you can choose to contribute to different ones on different days.
- The Nature Conservancy is a conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
- charity: water is a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations.
- Doctors Without Borders is an independent, international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in nearly 70 countries to those most in need.
- Un Techo para mi País is working in 19 countries across the Americas to improve the quality of life of impoverished families through the construction of transitional housing
- Room to Read is a non-profit organization seeking to transform the lives of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Here is what your new tabs will do:
- 10 tabs = 1 tree planted
- 10 tabs = 1 book published and donated
- 25 tabs = 1 vaccination treatment provided
- 100 tabs = 1 square foot of shelter built
- 200 tabs = 1 person’s clean water for a year
You need to download Google Chrome (you must anyway!) and the Chrome for Cause extension and browse as usual. The, only, catch is that you only get to do this from Dec 15-19. So, Hurry up and download the extension now!
Being the cynical people we are, we suspect this is just a way to mix charity with the mega Chrome advertising campaign Google is running these days. Anyway it’s not a problem, Chrome is already our preferred browser.
Chrome for Cause Extension
[via Google Chrome Blog]
Liked this article? Like us on Facebook!